Monday, July 18, 2011

Whistle While You Work

I got this really cute idea for a craft project when my mom and I went for a weekend and visited her friend. Her friend LOVES Americana decor; her house is full of cross-stichings, quilts, old signs, blankets, pictures, firgurines, flags, anything Americana. One of the decorations in her house, these fabric flags, she made herself when she conducted a women's craft project at her church. They went perfectly with her style and they lie all over her house. These are what they look like. Aren't they cute?!?



Immediately when I saw them, I knew I wanted to make them for my next home. She was happy to give me some of her left over supplies, which made my day! I decided that this would be a cute project to do with my grandmas and my mom. So today was the day we planned on making them, and boy did they come out cute!! I am excited to give you a brief tutorial of the very fun/easy craft project that is good for all ages. Let's begin!

Materials you will need:
1. Americana fabric (You will need two complimentary fabrics)
2. White felt
3. Buttons (any color, or just plain white)
4. Twine or ribbon
5. Sticks (any size)
5. Hot glue gun

First, you decide how big you want your background to be, and cut your felt and one piece of your fabric the same size.

*We couldn't find our pinking shears, but you can also cut around the fabric with pinking shears; it would look so cute! :D

Next, using your hot glue gun, glue both the felt and the one fabric together and then glue to a stick.


Then, cut out a smaller square of the second flag you have chosen and apply it with the glue gun to the right side of your bigger square (In the picture, I chose to experiment and do this flag backwards. I think it looks cute either way). Loop the twine or ribbon between the button holes and hot glue the button in the middle of the smaller square.

There you have it, you are done. Don't you like your outcome?!? Another cute idea would be to add rick-rack or hand-stich a long stich across the stripes part of the larger square, to make the affects of lines. Just be creative! :D

To display them in your home, you can put them in small little vases or in cute little tins (like the one in the last picture). If you do the latter, then you would just need to add some foam inside the tin.

Since this craft is so fun and light-hearted, I was humming and singing throughout its entirety. If I could whistle (good at least), then I would have whistled while I worked :D This song by Chris Tomlin would be great to listen to while you work! He has such refreshing songs that really make you think about your walk with God.


Here are all the ones I have done. This is such a great way to spice up your home with such an easy craft. It doesn't matter that it's American apparel, it's not just a Fourth of a July decor, it's an all year decor! I can't wait to put them in my next house with all my Navy and Sailor decorations!!

I hope you do this craft, you will enjoy it! Have fun! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment