Monday, August 29, 2011

Live Like You Were Dying

Sometimes the world gets the best of us. We get so easily caught up in it, believing that nothing else matters, that we are the center of the universe, and that the world is never-ending. Until that little thought in the back of our mind comes full circle, front and center: reality. And we then realize that one day, and that one day is unknown, that the world is going to come to an end. And then suddenly, our mood goes from awesome blossom to down in the blues in the matter of 10.5 seconds, when the reality of it all kicks in: there is going to be a day where we are going to be accountable for all of our actions here on earth. From the beginning of our lives to the very last and final breath we breathe. It makes me put my life, time, and energy into perspective and think "Am I using my time wisely?" and even "How am I using my time?" It almost seems like some days just slip away, they go by so fast, I can't even remember what I did during the day. My memory is only a blurred memory, when I have days like these. Is it not bad that we can't remember what we are doing during the day? I think that is bad, yet so many times that is the case. I seem to have time to do a bunch of non-sense things, yet I can't make time to read my bible, say a meaningful prayer, or advance God's kingdom somehow. Is advancing God's kingdom not the purpose/calling of our lives here on earth? Why is that not my top priority?

God calls us to live our lives like every day is our final day. To live it out so well that we would be satisfied if God were to call us home to him right now. We take advantage of the fact that we are here on earth. We want to go here, do that, see Taylor Swift in concert, wait for Mr. Right, have the perfect number of kids, go on the perfect vacation that everyone will talk about, be famous, win the lottery, all before Jesus calls us home, yet where is God in any of those things? Shouldn't our list be: Tell that one friend of ours that seems curious about religion about Jesus, share the news of the gospel with our neighbors, live out our faith and proclaim it loud and proud, to stand up for what is right in our community, and to make God the center of our lives and family? Yet so many of us (me included) cringle up, become ashamed, or get shy when God's name is spoken in an unpleasant, wrong, and deceitful manner? What lies in our hearts should be shown for everyone to see, yet so many of us store the good news in our hearts and keep it from those who desparately need it. We have good intentions, but sometimes we get naive, blind, lost, or confused. Mathew 5:13-16 says,

"“You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot. You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven."

People are not only supposed to be able to see our good works in our lives, but see the good works in our own lives to the point that they are turned to God because of them. Isn't that powerful?!? That really convicts me. It's verses like these and previous thoughts from above that really get my mind spinning out of control, because I know they are true. I want to make this my mission and goal in life that I strive for, yet it is so hard! However, it is very important to remember that God never said following him would be easy, but it definitely is not incapable!

What inspired these thoughts was a song that I heard on the radio earlier today by Tim McGraw, Live Like You Were Dying. The lyrics to the song are powerful, and encouraged me to think even further, in a more Godly and heavenly sense (not that the song is ungodly, it just encouraged me to think past the lyrics). Here are the lyrics to the song, or watch him perform it beautifully here (he seems to perform live so well!!).

Verse 1
He said I was in my early forties, with a lot of life before me
And one moment came that stopped me on a dime
I spent most of the next days, looking at the x-rays
Talking bout' the options and talking bout' sweet times.
I asked him when it sank in, that this might really be the real end
How's it hit 'cha when you get that kind of news?
Man what did ya do?
He said

Chorus
I went skydiving
I went rocky mountain climbing
I went two point seven seconds on a bull named Fu Man Chu
And I loved deeper
And I spoke sweeter
And I gave forgiveness I'd been denyin'

And he said some day I hope you get the chance
To live like you were dyin'

Verse 2
He said I was finally the husband, that most the time I wasn't
And I became a friend, a friend would like to have
And all of a sudden goin' fishin, wasn't such an imposition
And I went three times that year I lost my dad
Well I finally read the good book, and I took a good long hard look
At what I'd do if I could do it all again
And then

Bridge
Like tomorrow was the end
And ya got eternity to think about what to do with it
What should you do with it
What can I do with it
What would I do with it

The bold part of the chorus is what really stuck out to me the most in the song. So many times I feel as if I hold forgiveness from people in the palm of my hands and offer it at my own will. However, God THANKFULLY does not treat us that way!

These are just thoughts for your brain to think about this week. Glad I started my week off in a refreshing way!

No comments:

Post a Comment