Thursday, October 6, 2011

A Healthy Lifestyle

Everyone needs a reason to live a healthy lifestyle. Someone's reason may be for a health reason or disease that requires a certain diet. Another person's reason may be for their weight. While someone else may choose a healthy lifestyle by choice. I want to be the latter. I don't want there to be "something" that forces me to be healthy, but rather it to be my choice to live healthy. I don't want to wait for something to be wrong with me and it be almost too late for me to change my ways. That's why I am choosing to make my health a priority while I am young. They say that after you do something consistently for thirty days that it becomes a habit. Well, I want to live by this saying, but change it up a bit. I want to eventually say, "After you have been doing something for over ten years, it becomes a lifestyle" (the years can change, that's just an example). My point is, I want good eating habits and regular exercise to become such apart of my daily life, that I don't have to think twice about whether or not I exercised for at least 30 minutes every day or if my lunch was healthy enough. I want to just know that I don't have to worry about it, because it is apart of my life. This is my motivation for my healthy lifestyle.

Since Adam has been gone, I have been getting back into going to the gym regularly. Slowly but every so surely it has become my new BFF. You can find me on the base gym(s) usually five days a week, Monday-Friday. I start off with cardio using machines that I never used to touch: the elypticals. They are killer, yet fun, and are really effective at burning calories! Then I usually pick another cardio machine, either the stair climber, a cycle, or the treadmill and burn some more calories to mix it up. After cardio, I usually switch every other day working out legs/abs and arms. I've been trying to end with another ten minutes on the elyptical after strength, to push myself and get the most out of my workout. On a usual day I'll burn 350-500 calories, depending on my fatigue.

One of the things I am working on is lowering my mile time. My goal is to get it into single digits. Last week I clocked my mile time at 12 minutes. I ran the mile again the beginning of this week and got it down to 10:40. I'm so close to single digits I can taste it. Maybe next week!?!

As far as eating healthy goes, I am trying to eat the right proportions of fruits, vegetables, grains, and meat. On top of this, I am working on portion control. It helps that I only have to cook for one, so you can tell how much of things you need to cut up or prepare, but that's my weak spot. Another new thing for me in this area is eating the right proportions of calories. I have never been one to care for couting calories because I strongly feel that people take it way too far. To my surprise it has helped me in my eating habits. I downloaded this free app onto my iphone that helps you track your calories and your workouts. It has been an eye-opener for me. I will put in what I eat for each meal and it will calculate how many calories I ate. Usually when I am eating healthy I eat a lot of fruits and veggies, but forget that they are low in calories and I still need to eat more to get to my target amount of calories. This has been a good tool for me.

My favorite Breakfast is this recipe for a bell pepper egg in a whole. I follow the recipe but do my own thing. I grill red and green onions, mushrooms, broccoli, garlic, sesame seeds, and in addition to the salt & pepper I add garlic powder to the top of it. For a complete breakfast I eat it with whole wheat toast with light cream cheese or grape jelly. GREAT additions let me tell you!!! It is SO YUMMY!!!!

Here is what mine looks like :D



Some of my favorite snacks:

Swiss Cheese with: grapes, apples, or Tomato & Basil Wheat Thins
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus with: carrot sticks or whole-wheat pita bread
Apples with Peanut Butter
Fat Free Ranch with carrots or cuccumber
String cheese
Almonds or Walnuts
Or this: An Apple Sanwich

This is also a great fun snack I've been enjoying, too. An apple sandwich, although it is hard to eat as a sandwich. It has peanut butter, chocolate chips and granola inside.

I am also trying to buy healthy ingredients that pose as good substitutes for recipes. For example, I've been buying whole wheat pasta noodles, brown rice, quinoa, whole wheat pita bread, olive oil, and whole wheat bread for cooking. It's such an easy way to eat healthy, if it's already in your cupboards. For salads I have been using different kinds of vinegars instead of buying dressings, and it's my favorite thing to do now! I really want to make my own dressings, too, but just haven't yet for some unknown reason to me. I've also been making my own marinades for meats and it is so fun and yummy!! For baking recipes I've been buying wheat flour, almond milk, and unsalted butter to use for substitutions, and you really can't tell the difference at all!

Balsamic Marinade:
Whisk 1/4 cup each olive oil and balsamic vinegar,

2 minced garlic cloves,

1 tablesppon Italian seasoning,

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper.

Makes about 1/2 cup


Per serving: 169 calories
*From Eating Well Magazine*




Here are some of the meals that I have made for lunches/dinner:


Lemon Pepper Chicken Salad. I've also done this salad with Lemon Pepper Cod and it was soooo good too!



This is my absolutely favorite lunch nowadays. It's a fajita pita. It's made with lemon pepper chicken (or use the balsamic marinade chicken); grilled onions, mushrooms, peppers, sesame seeds, and garlic; lettuce; tomato; 1 tablespoon of roasted red pepper hummus, all in a grilled whole-wheat pita bread. YUMMY!!! Can't wait to make this for Adam, who I know will love this!


This is how my grilled chicken turned out with the balsamic marinade; SO good! I also marinated some pork in the same marinade and it was so good on it, too!!


Eating right doesn't have to mean eating veggies straight from the grocery aisle or grains straight from the bins at places like Henrys or Sprouts. You've got to be creative and use your head to make combinations that you wouldn't think of otherwise. It's been fun experimenting with different things. My next experimentation is going to be making pesto. I think it will be interesting.

Do you have a reason for being healthy?

1 comment:

  1. Yummy! I especially like the apple. Never thought of that.

    ReplyDelete