Sunday, October 30, 2011

Remember When

The church I have chosen to call home, has been going through some great series since I began my journey with them almost two months ago. The pastor is the main reason why I chose to call it "home." He's a really good pastor, and knows how to connect his messages back to the Bible very well, and also empower you to act upon what he is saying. I've really enjoyed him as a pastor so far, and am looking forward to how I learn and grow from his messages in the future.

The series he is on now is called "Remember When." The background he made for the series is that overtime, significant events lose their significance, because there is tension when you remember past events and remain in it. His two main points have been, 1) significant events need to be told and retold. This will be a benefit and blessing to multiple generations, so that they will know how God has been faithful to the family line. His main point this week, was "Remember when sin held you in bondage. Live as somone set free. Don't reclaim your chains, but live to please the Lord."

I really appreciated his message today, because you always tend to think that the past is the past. If you had a dark past, then leave that behind you and start new and afresh; never turning behind you to remember where you came from. Focusing on the present is much better and healthier. However, remembering the times we were in bondage (sin), allows for us to live in freedom today; choosing to remember that we've been redeemed. He gave many examples from the Bible. Multiple times in Deuteronomy, four times to be specific, God reminds Israel to remember that He, the Lord, brought them out of slavery in Egypt (5:15, 6:12, 24:18,22). In Leviticus, God says it a little differently, "I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt so that you would no longer be slaves to the Egyptians; I broke the bars of your yoke and enabled you to walk with heads held high" (26:13; you can also substitute Egypt for sin, and it reads the same for today). Lastly, in Colossians 1:10-14, there's another beautiful reminder that I would encourage you to read on your own.

His message has really motivated me to remember all the times in my life where God has been faithful to me, bringing me from a cold place, to his warm, loving embrace. It also has encouraged me to remember that God is my savior, among many other things. I chose to call Him my Savior, and therefore, he has saved me, cleansing me from all my sin, with his sacrifice on the cross. How more grateful can a person be?!? My responsibility, for making that choice years ago, is to live a life that is pleasing and honoring to His name.

GREAT stuff!! I hope you can be encouraged throughout your week to remember when God saved you from bondage and set you free to live a life that is pleasing to Him. And if you haven't made that choice, maybe now is time to think about the reasons God would be needed in your life. I would encourage you to keep a journal so that you and future generations can be reminded of how God has been faithful to you.

*Courtesy of Pastor Barry Bandara, Silverdale Baptist Church*

No comments:

Post a Comment