Saturday, November 5, 2011

Highlights & Low lights

This week has been a week of surprises, blessings, reoccurring sickness, visits from friends (and a cute baby), and rest. I guess I can unravel it a little better for you than this.

I started the week off feeling rejuvenated as I started into a new adventure up here: volunteering. There is a school right down the street from our community, that most of the kids who live here go to, and I thought what better way to get my foot in the door then to volunteer. But to be a little more honest with you, it's better to do something else than watch endless episodes of Friends and My Wife and Kids reruns during the day. I decided on volunteering three times a week right now, since I haven't had any luck finding a job. So Monday morning bright and early I was not in my bed like I would have been, instead, I was up-and-atom before the sun came out (actually, it never came up that day). Surprisingly, I wasn't tired throughout the day like I suspected for waking up that early, and didn't even take a knap! Go me! I can already tell that I am going to enjoy this experience at the school. I am volunteering in the library for an hour, the all-day kindergarten class for an hour, a second grade class for 30 minutes, take an hour break, and then come back and help out in a fourth grade class for an hour. What a diverse schedule, I love it!

However, Monday was my only day volunteering there this week, as I got sick from a kid in the nursery at church on Tuesday and had to call and cancel my two other days for the week, as I didn't want to pass it around AND I didn't have the energy. By Tuesday evening I was full-blown sick, yet again. Don't you love it how the flu catches you when you don't want it to?!? Gotta love that flu-NOT! So instead of spending the rest of the week at the school, I spent it trying to get rest, which is a lot harder than it sounds! So basically all day Wednesday and Thursday I spent in bed, except for going to get medicine at the store and going to my Dr. appointment.

What I'm lovin:

1) A hot cup of tea
2) My NeilMed Sinus Rinse- I have been using this since May and it works WONDERS! I got it from Costco, and it's like a netty pot, but it's a bottle. It's so easy to use and it's affordable. I used to get sinus headaches daily, now it's a rare occurance! You would be surprised at how well it works. (I should be a spokesperson!).
3)Mucinex

Spending those two days, alone, with no human interaction (wait, talking to Baxter doesn't count as a human interaction? Dangit!), I made sure I got enough rest by Thursday night, because I needed to be around some humans. So I made sure I felt well enough to attend my woman's bible study. Sure am glad I went, it was a great chapter we went through, and I got a lot out of it!
Another reason I wanted to make sure I got plenty of rest, was because my good friend Christine came up to WA to visit some family and we had scheduled to see each other over two months ago. I did not want to cancel our visit, I had been looking forward to it for a long time! We had a lovely time talking, taking a walk along the water, and ooing and awwing over her cute baby boy, who is growing up so fast; he's almost four and a half months and is cuter than ever! I tried out a new recipe for us for lunch, crockpot Vegetable Lasagna, and let's just say that it's my new BFF. Not only was it DELICIOUS, but it was so easy, too. I didn't take any pictures, unfortuantely, but that's ok, I have her visit to cherish, as she's our first ever visitor to our new place!

Inbetween getting sick and Christine's visit, I received a card and package from Adam in the mail. It's always nice receiving things from him. It doesn't matter what exactly it may be, anything from him always brightens my day. To describe Adam's package using one word, would be "random."

It contained, another card, a program from the chapel service he attends on the ship, a magnet from Bahrain, coins from Bahrain, a 5th Fleet coin from Bahrain (there's a picture below of the front and back), a pin from a bomb that says "Remove Before Flight," and a 22 minute dvd of him reading the book The Itsy Bitsy Spider, the Mr. Z. way (his dad would be proud) and him talking to me from his heart. The dvd is an item that is so precious to me; I've already watched it four times and will have watched it one more time before tonight is over. Not only did his reading make me laugh hysterically, he definitely knows the way to my heart, as he spoke straight from his for 18 minutes, which if you know Adam, that's hard to do, so I am very honored that he actually took the time and put effort into his thoughts. It was also nice to actually get to see him; let's just say he's lookin' good!!





*All my "random" items*





*The front of the coin*





*The back of the coin*

So I put the items onto their new place on the wall:








And put the cards he sent with all the other cards I have received from friends and family since we've moved here.





(Love this idea I had!)

I hope you had a great week and are taking the right steps to avoiding the nasty flu that is going around.

This week I pulled out Faith Hill's Christmas cd (I love it!!). I know it's not even Thanksgiving, but I had to give in! I love this album of hers! I'm off to go listen. Happy weekend!!


No comments:

Post a Comment