Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Forgotten God

This morning I read the last chapter, and therefore completed the book. This was a GREAT book! As I said in yesterday's post, it really has forced myself to ask/answer some serious questions, that I have put off for far too long. Here are some of my faorite excerpts from the book.

"Christians talk about being born again and say that they were dead but now have come to life. We have become hardened to those words, but they are powerful words that have significant meaning. Yet when those outside the church see no difference in our lives, they begin to question our integrity, our sanity, or even worse, our God. And can you blame them?" pg 33

"So, if you say you want the Holy Spirit, you must first honestly ask yourself if you want to do His will. Because if you do not genuinely want to know and do His will, why should you ask for His presence at all? But if you decide you do want to know His will, there will be moments when you have to let go of the fear of what that might mean-when you have to release your grip of control on your life and decide to be led, come what may." pg 51

"When we are disunified, unloving, hateful, jealous, gossipy, etc., that is when we grieve the Spirit of God. And since He is the creator of emotions, I believe that the Spirit grieves more deeply that we can even understand. How do you respond when you hear this? Does it bother you? When was the last time you were saddened because your sin pained the Holy Spirit?" (powerful stuff!!) pg. 72

"It is true that God may have called you to be eactly where you are. But it's absolutely vital to grasp that He didn't call you there so you could settle in and live out your life in comfort and superficial peace. His purposes are not random or arbitrary. If you are still alive on this planet, it's because He has something for you to do. He placed on on this earth for purposes that He orchestrated long before we were born." (Eph. 2:8-10) pg. 92

"Have you ever thought about what it means to be "known"? Though I'd been telling people for years that I "knew" God, only recently have I explored the concept of being "known" by Him. It's breathtaking to picture almighty God saying, "I know Francis Chan. He's my son. I love him!" Are you confident this is what God would say if I asked Him about you? Do you know God or just know about Him? Are you acquaintances or intimate friends? pg. 105

This book really is inspiring. But more importantly, it is inspiring for you to actually make a change in your life. I would really encourage you all to read it. You won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment