Monday, January 23, 2012

Do Everything

Sorry I haven't been posting a Saturday Laugh post in awhile. There hasn't been much comedy in my life lately. Quite the contrary rather. Seems like everything goes wrong in the beginning of a deployment and then gets rather boring in the middle of a deployment, and then gets real crappy towards the end as you are waiting, quite impatiently to be honest, for the arrival of someone so dear to your life. So there's been nothing to share. Sorry, folks!

Waiting impatiently for Adam's arrival has abruptly become my mood. I've been a very good girl this whole deployment, and then BAM the last 40 days are killing me. I figured out that it's because my week got abruptly changed and jostled this last week due to Stormageddon, and it kind of messed with my head, emotions, and overall attitude. I got sucked into an overall impatient, too anxious, exhausting mood on Saturday, maybe due to the fact that I caught a bug from the kids at work, and I just needed to hear from Adam. It had been longer than he usually goes to call me, so I emailed him to call me. He called me early, too early, Sunday and the call didn't go through. Then he called me back a minute later and the call abruptly hung up after only 2 minutes. I know I'm used to this already, but being that it was a time that I actually needed to talk to him, it really got to me. I thought he might call back, but he didn't. After an hour of being frustrated, mad, angry and sad, I finally was able to fall asleep after 2 hours (I later found out that he had tried to call me back on all the phones, but they all weren't working). I suddenly woke up at 10 am, and realized that I needed to rush and get ready for church, because this was the one day that I actually needed to be at church. I've been feeling the devil on my prowl, and I knew if I missed church, he would have more reason to keep me in that terrible mood.

So glad I went to church! The message was exactly what I needed to hear. Have you ever felt a time where you feel like there is no one else in the room and the pastor is talking directly to you? Yup, that was me on Sunday. However, the church was packed. Here are some brief notes of the sermon:

The title of the series we're on is STORMS of this life, ie. financial storms, relationship storms, health storms, etc.

Read Mark 6:45-53a (Jesus walking on the water)

Storms: can overwhelm us with fear or frustration.
Even when God is extraordinarily silent, He is not absent.
Some storms reveal that our prayers are strong but our faith is weak.
The in-between times will test our trust and sanity. (We know we aren't where we used to be, but we aren't yet where we want or are supposed to be).
What to do:
Keep rowing and keep moving forward.
Check your attitude
Stay in the boat, don't give up. Going against the wind is hard, but most people quit right before change.
We get so frustrated that we miss what God is doing around us.
Because we are delayed doesn't mean we are denied.

Isn't this good stuff?!? I've been lovin' this series, especially yesterday's sermon.

On my way to church and also on my way home from church, I heard the same song on the radio that spoke directly to my current problems. I never had heard the song before and instantly felt touched by the lyrics, because I know that God meant for me to hear this song yesterday. It was totally in His plan. To my surprise, the song ended up being Steven Curtis Chapman's, Do Everything, after further researching when I got home. I didn't realize that he made any cool new Christian Contemporary songs anymore. Completely blew my mind! The dude's almost 50 this year and he's still making songs that sound like he could be in his 20's (not that that's bad at all, just more awesome that God is still using him!). Crazy! Anyways, here are the lyrics that touched me:

Ooooooooooh Ohhhhhhhhhhh Ohhhhhhhhhhh
You’re picking up toys on the living room floor
for the 15th time today.
Matching up socks and sweeping up lost
Cheerios that got away.
You put a baby on your hip and color on your lips
and head out the door.

And while I may not know you, I bet I know you
Wonder sometimes does it matter at all?
We’ll let me remind you it all matters just as long as you,

Do everything you do to the glory of the One who made you,
Cause He made you to do
Every little thing that you do to bring a smile to His face
And tell the story of grace
With every move that you make
And every little thing you do

OOoh ooooh oooooh
Maybe you’re that guy with the suit and tie
Maybe your shirt says your name
You may be hooking up mergers, cooking up burgers
But at the end of the day
Little stuff big stuff in between stuff
God sees it all the same
And while I may not know you I bet I know you
Wonder sometimes does it matter at all

We’ll let me remind you it all matters just as long as you do
Everything you do to the glory of the One who made you
Cause He made you
To do every little thing that you do to bring a smile to His face
And tell the story of grace with every move that you make
And every little thing that you do

Well maybe you’re sitting in math class
Maybe you're on a mission in the Congo
Maybe you’re working at the office
Singing along with the radio
Maybe you’re dining at a five star
Or feeding orphans in Myanmar
Anywhere and everywhere you are
Whatever you do it all matters
So do what you do and don’t ever forget to do
*Courtesy of sweetlyrics.com*

 


Didn't I tell you the song was awesome? Doesn't it just touch your soul? I mean, to know that whatever you are doing has purpose, when you are doing it for His glory, because it all is contributing to His master plan. Man, that definitely is the ultimate pick-me-up song. SO glad that God intended it to be that way for me yesterday, to hear this song and be motivated more for His name. It also helped that I got a call from Adam last night, where we actually had an amazing conversation for almost 40 minutes, with no disconnections or interruptions!! Man, that was nice!

I am glad that I am back to normal and that my no good Saturday was completely forgotten by an awesome-blossom Sunday!

I hope you all had a great first two days of a brand-new week!

2 comments:

  1. aw darlin' my heart was just hurtin for you so bad I remember the frustration of dropped and missed calls and all that other stuff, so glad you let God pull you out of that funk! Praise the Lord! I think today I'm going to stop being stubborn and pig headed and let him do the same I'm ashamed to say I've been fighting it a bit, I think your post just gave me a big 'ol push in the right direction!

    ReplyDelete