Monday, March 19, 2012

Food Challenges to the Test

I originally created the blog series "Food Challenges" for adding new recipes to my recipe collection, so when Adam came home from Deployment I could spoil him with as much good cooking as possible. I wanted to give an update of the recipes I have made him thus far, along with the ratings he gives each meal. This has been fun for me, because every time I cook a meal, I'll ask him "what do you rate this dish and would you want to see it on your plate again." Let me tell you, he's one tough critic, but glad my cooking most always gets good reviews from his big appetite!! (score!) Let the fun begin:


Crockpot Salsa Chicken, with black beans, served over a baked potato (even made my own Taco Seasoning instead of buying it, for the recipe!): SCORE! He loved it!!

*Their picture (did not picture mine)*


Penne Pasta with Sun-Dried Tomato Cream Sauce, served with Lemon Lovers Asparagus: I've made this twice so far, so you can tell he is a big fan of this one!!

 *mine*

Slow Cooker Honey Sesame Chicken, served with rice and Crispy Parmesan Asparagus Sticks: Double thumbs up!
*Mine*

Lemony Asparagus Pasta: He Loved this pasta. Next time, he told me to add chicken to it and it would be that much better. But he did like it a lot.

*Mine* 
Sloppy Joes (already have a family recipe for Sloppy Joes, but this recipe is AMAZING!, especially if you like your food to have a little kick of spicy flavor (not too spicy if you're wondering) but it's just so good!!): He liked these a lot
*Mine* 

Crockpot Chiken Marsala: I made these tonight (substituting the wine for chicken broth), and he gave this a 4 out of 5 stars. It came out pretty good, better than I thought!

*Theirs (did not picture mine)*

Slow Cooker Garlic Chicken, served with Polenta and fried green beans: He loved the flavor of the chicken and the fact that the meat just falls off the bone, but he would have preferred it boneless. Still would give it 4/5 stars ;)
*Mine*

Easy Garlic Chicken, served with mashed potatoes and Crispy Parmesan Asparagus Sticks: He loved this meal!

*Mine*

Crockpot Vegetable Lasagna: He loved this meal. He went back for seconds, so you know it was good!

*Theirs (did not picture mine)*

I even ventured out and made some breakfasts for him (nothing, too out of the ordinary, just creative breakfast ideas):

Instead of "Egg in a hole," Egg in a Heart, (also did this same concept in a pepper instead of toast, and he loves it that way, too) breakfast, including, fruit salad, egg, sauteed veggies, and toast: He thought it was cute :)


 *Mine*

 Mini, make-your-own Omlettes: It's his favorite asked for breakfast!!

 *Mine*

Looking back over the reviews, guess Adam has liked most all of the dishes. Guess a wife can't complain too much. ;D

One of the things that I haven't been able to do in about a year and a half is Menu Plan. Since Adam has been gone at boot camp, A-school, and on deployment, there's been no reason for me to menu plan. Cooking for one is like, cooking whatever you have on hand (except when I started this blog series, I would plan my menus, but wouldn't stick to it if something came up; very flexible when cooking for one). Now I have been LOVING that I get to do this now!

Here is what's comin' up next in our household:

Tuesday: Sweet Potato & Red Pepper Pasta
Wednesday: Honey-Soy Salmon with vegetable fried rice
Thursday: Onion Soup Mix Pork Chops, with Mashed potatoes and lemon-lovers asparagus. (I made the soup mix!!!)
Friday: Spicy Chicken Rigatoni
Saturday: Stuffed Bell Peppers


What's cookin' in your household? I'd love to know!
Happy week all!


 

1 comment: