Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Adam's Favorite Meal

I've gotten a little behind on posting regularly, but I have a good excuse: I'm spending quality time with my hubby while I can. So, I think that's pretty legitimate. :) Here is the recipe that my hubby said was his favorite meal I've made for him yet. I was blown away when he gave this meal the rating he did. A little side note, he knows that I always have him rate my meals now (more when I'm making a new item), so he'll tell me that he won't give me a rating 'til the meal is completely over (half of the reason why is because he knows it just kills me and that I'm dying to know!!!!).

And cue the drum roll please.............


Enchiladas!!!

 Enchiladas is Adam's favorite meal to request from his mom, because she makes a pretty mean Enchilada! So I have always been pretty scared to try making them on my own. Well, I worked up the guts, found a good recipe, and started my adventure for my first time ever making them. (I really was scared!! haha). Here is the recipe I used as my guide-line (I say guide line, because the process is really well explained in this recipe, but as far as ingredients, I'll explain once I get there).


Ingredients: (for the recipe for the link)
  • 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts trimmed & pounded if necessary
  • Salt & pepper
  • 2 1/2 cups of enchilada sauce (store bought or from scratch)
  • 1 cup finely crumbled queso fresco or feta cheese
  • 1 (4 oz.) can of green chiles
  • 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
  • 12 (6-inch) soft corn tortillas
  • Vegetable oil spray (or you can use vegetable oil in a little bowl with a brush)
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • Lime wedges (optional)
  • Sour cream (optional)
I ended up doing this:
  • 1/2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1/2 lb. ground turkey
  • salt & pepper
  • 2 1/2 cups of enchilada sauce (store bought) -divided
  • 1 (4 oz.) can of green chiles, drained -divided
  • 1/2 cup of cilantro -divided
  • 12 (6 in.) soft corn tortillas
  • vegetable oil in a little bowl with a brush
  • 2 cups of cheddar cheese-divided
(The reason why I didn't follow the original recipe, was due to the fact that I thought I had bough the items and totally realized the moment I started to make them, that I must have "thought" I had bought them--oh well. Didn't ruin any thing at all. So I ended up doing 6 enchiladas chicken, and 6 ground turkey, because once again, I didn't realize that I was out of chicken breasts. Another, oh well moment. Adam really loved the ground turkey ones, so glad it worked out).

To Do (here are my instructions, incorporated into the original recipe):
  1. Preheat oven to 350. Pat chicken dry and season with salt and pepper.
  2. Combine the chicken and 1/2 the amount of enchilada sauce in a medium saucepan & simmer for 10-15 minutes over medium-low heat. Then flip the chicken over, cover and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes until chicken reaches 160-165 degrees with an instant-read thermometer. (At this same time, I cooked the ground beef, then put in the other amount of enchilada sauce, and cooked the same way as the chicken, minus flipping it over of course ;)
  3. Remove chicken from pan and shred into bite-sized pieces. Combine shredded chicken, 1/4 cup of the enchilada sauce,  1/2 amount of cheese,  1/2 chiles and 1/2 of cilantro in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the other halves of the ingredients with the ground turkey. Cover both to keep warm.
  4. Lightly coat both sides of 6 tortillas with vegetable oil and place on a baking sheet. Bake until tortillas are soft & pliable, about 2 to 4 minutes.
  5. Quickly place tortillas on a flat surface and place 1/3 cup of the chicken mixture into each one. Tightly roll each tortilla around the chicken and place in a 9×13 baking dish. Repeat steps 4 and 5 for the remaining 6 tortillas, with the ground turkey mixture.
  6. Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees. Pour the remaining enchilada sauce from chicken over the tortillas and sprinkle with the cheddar cheese (side note: my hubby doesn't like food to saucey, so even though I halved the ingredients, I didn't use any extra sauce for this last step-it turned out just fine). Cover with foil and bake for about 10 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 3 to 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
  7. Serve with remaining enchilada sauce (if you choose to increase the enchilada sauce), optional lime wedges and optional sour cream.
Serving size: 2 enchiladas Calories: 420 Fat: 16 g Saturated fat: 8 g Carbohydrates: 40 g Fiber: 5 g Protein: 29 g Cholestrol: 80 mg
(I love that the calories are low for this meal!!)
Notes
To make ahead, complete through step 5, cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge for up to 2 days. Begin with step 6 when ready to cooking but do not cover. Bake for 10-20 minutes or until warm.
 *There's*


*Mine*
 I decided to go all out and make the theme of the night Mexican, so I whipped up some salsa and made home-made tortilla chips, and served the enchiladas with black beans, for my complete meal. This was amazing!

The reason Adam rated the meal his favorite meal, was due to the fact that I made ground turkey ones-which was totally on accident! :) Don't you just love when things turn out better than you think it would. I totally do!! :D

I encourage you to venture out of your ordinary, and try making a meal you are scared to make. If its not this one, then look for a recipe you are interested in. Don't let things scare you away!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment