Thursday, April 26, 2012

Almost-Famous Barbecue Chicken Pizza (like CPK)

As I shared in my last post, I've been SUPER excited about this week's menu. Some pretty good items that I've been wanting to try for awhile are now on for this week. Here is the recipe for the first home-made pizza I made this last Monday.  As I've stated in some other posts, I never ventured out and really cooked meals that seemed too hard to do when I was younger and first married. To me, making my own pizza seemed like a task that was not fit for me. Although I knew a bunch of people who make their own weekly, that seemed to scary for me. I don't know why I ever installed this fear of cooking, but it feels so good to break those chains free!! Cooking to me now, is almost like an art to me. I'm not good at art, but I am now good at cooking! This recipe was AMAZING, I just had to share it!

 Almost-Famous Barbecue Chicken Pizza (like CPK)
 with my friends 5 ingredient dough recipe

 Ingredients/instructions for Pizza Dough
  • 1pkg or 1 Tbsp dry yeast
  • 1 1/4 C. warm water
  • 2 Tbsp. oil
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 4 C. flour

mix yeast and water together until yeast is completely dissolved. Add oil, salt, and flour and mix well. Knead this for 6-8 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place dough in greased bowl. Let rise 1 1/2 hours or more (until doubled). Divide the dough in half for thin crust or use all for thick crust. Form a ball and gently pull and flatten until it is the size you want. If using a pizza pan, grease and sprinkle with cornmeal. Assemble dough on pan. If using a stone, generously sprinkle cornmeal on it and assemble pizza there. Slide onto pre-heated stone. Bake in 475 or 500 degree for 10-12 minutes.

Ingredients/instructions for  Almost-Famous Barbecue Chicken Pizza (like CPK)
  • 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
  • 1/2 pound prepared pizza dough, at room temperature (or dough from above recipe)
  • 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons dark barbecue sauce
  • 1 8-ounce skinless, boneless chicken breast
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
  • **2/3 cup grated smoked gouda cheese (about 3 ounces) (**Note: I omitted the gouda cheese since it's so expensive and just doubled the amount of mozzarella cheese-tasted just fine without)
  • 2/3 cup grated part-skim mozzarella cheese (about 3 ounces)
  • 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
  • Fresh cilantro, for topping
**Brush a large bowl with olive oil. Shape the pizza dough into a ball, add it to the bowl and turn to coat with the oil. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place, 30 to 40 minutes. (**Note: I ommitted this step, since I already completed this step in the dough recipe above).



Position racks in the upper third and middle of the oven. Place a pizza stone or inverted baking sheet on the top rack and preheat the oven to 425 degrees F for at least 30 minutes.


Meanwhile, lay out a sheet of  **parchment paper and brush with olive oil. Transfer the ball of dough to the parchment and roll it out into a 10-inch round, stretching it with your hands as needed. Lightly brush the dough with olive oil, cover with another piece of parchment and set aside to let rise slightly, about 30 minutes. (**Note: If you have a stone or intend to bake on a pizza pan, assemble pizza on stone or in pan, SO much easier than trying to move the pizza from parchment paper to pan or stone).


While the dough rises, mix 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce and 1 teaspoon olive oil in a small bowl. Put the chicken in a baking dish, season with salt and pepper and brush with the barbecue sauce mixture. Bake on the middle oven rack until cooked through, about 20 minutes. Let cool, then cut into 1/2-inch cubes.


Uncover the dough and spread with the remaining 1/3 cup barbecue sauce, leaving a 3/4-inch border. Top with the chicken, **gouda (**Note: if you chose to add the gouda), mozzarella and red onion. Slide the pizza (on the parchment) onto a pizza peel or another inverted baking sheet, then slide onto the hot stone or baking sheet; bake until the cheese melts and the crust is golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro.

Believe me, yours will taste and look just as good as this!! 

I really love this recipe!! I know a lot of people that have a weekly home-made pizza night, and not to be copy cats or anything, but we just might jump on that bandwagon. Home-made pizza is too good not to indulge in weekly!! :D




No comments:

Post a Comment