Saturday, April 28, 2012

Duty Days

Today is Adam's duty day. For all of you civilian folks and are like "Wait, what are those/that," let me explain. Once every 7 days Adam has to stay on the ship for 24 hours. Yup, the ship sees my hubby more than me. Something us military wives just learn to deal with. *jealous* So when he has duty, I plan my days real well, so I get a lot of things done that I don't like to do when he's around, because I don't want to I of course want to spend every moment with him, besides picking up poops or doing things that will take my time away from him, like blogging or crafting. So today was my do-things-around-the-house/crafting/time for myself day. YEAH right?!? 

Man I feel like I've been going since forever. This day has felt almost never-ending. It seems like those kind of days always come when you don't want them to. I mean, sometimes you actually NEED more hours in the day to get everything done that you need to, but then on others day that it actually happens, you seem to feel like "what do I do now? I've got everything done and it's only 5pm. AND I'VE ALREADY HAD DINNER (because I bring dinner to Adam on the ship on his duty days, and we eat it together in the galley. AWWW... :D)!!! So here's been the extent to my day. Are you ready for this? Ok, well I am, so let's go!

I woke up, took him to the ship, kissed him goodbye, and Bax and I head off to run errands while we were already driving. Yes, it was 7am. We are early birds. We went to Home Depot first. Baxter loves when we go to home improvement stores, because he gets to come with us!! We usually go to Lowes, but what I needed happened to be cheaper at HD, so we went there instead. Heck, I love either one because they both offer Military Discounts. OH YEAH! So back to Baxter, he got loaded up with lots of lovin' in our quick 10 minute trip. He got some popcorn (and not off the ground this time, the guy at the popcorn stand gave him a good handful! haha) and a treat from the checker, and lots of lovins from employees and customers. It was doggy heaven for him! We then went to Michaels, Joann's, the postoffice, and Winco all before going home. Have to point out one thing. Love going into a grocery store empty handed and out with only 2 items (2lbs of strawberries and a bin of French Vanilla Ice Cream) and not having to pay a dollar, dime, or penny! Oh that makes me feel so good! Love me Wincos and their awesome coupons in the add this week for those 2 items! So yep, got all of this done before 10. 

I then came home and watched Soul Serfer (while folding laundry of course). I know I'm so late on gettin' to see this movie, but give me a break, I don't go to the movies unless a movie looks so good I can't stand to wait, and even still I don't even go. I loved that our new membership with Dish Network came with a free 3 month subscription to BlockbusterHome! It allowed us to see movies that I've been wanting to see for a LONG TIME!! Like Breaking Dawn Part One, Abduction, Time Travelers Wife, Soul Serfer, The Help, etc. Awesome-blossom!! 

 I then crafted for awhile and added yet another new item to my store,

 The Chalkboard Coffee Mug. 
Love it!

I also made some other chalkboard items for a table decoration, that I will share with you once they dry. Excited for them! 


I brought Adam dinner at 4. Our dinner tonight was Creamy Asparagus Pasta, with chicken. I HAVE to share the recipe for this meal, SO good, SO good on calorie count for a pasta, and had such good flavor!!

Creamy Asparagus Pasta, with Chicken (I chose to add the chicken for more protein and to be heartier)

4 servings, 1 1/2 cups each
Total Time:

Ingredients:
  • 8 ounces whole-wheat penne pasta
  • 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
  • 1 1/2 cups whole milk (I had about 3/4 cups left of heavy cream that I mixed with 2%, turned out great)
  • 4 teaspoons whole-grain mustard (I use Trader Joes
  • 4 teaspoons flour (I used whole wheat)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  • 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
  • 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
  • *1 Chicken breast, cooked and sliced
Instructions:
  1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 3 minutes less than the package directions. Add asparagus and continue cooking until the pasta and asparagus are just tender, 3 minutes more. Drain and return to the pot.
  2. Meanwhile, whisk milk, mustard, flour, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant and lightly browned, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Whisk in the milk mixture. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly, and cook until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in tarragon, lemon zest and juice.
  3. Stir the sauce into the pasta-asparagus mixture. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until the sauce is thick, creamy and coats the pasta, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup Parmesan. Divide the pasta among 4 bowls and top with the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan.
Nutrition Info:
Per serving: 359 calories; 10 g fat ( 4 g sat , 4 g mono ); 18 mg cholesterol; 55 g carbohydrates; 18 g protein; 7 g fiber; 602 mg sodium; 467 mg potassium.

Let me tell you, these flavors mesh SO well together it was AMAZING!! Plus, the chicken really did add that extra umph to it, to make it that much better. Try this dish out!

I then washed all of my dishes of the day, cleaned up my crafting mess,  finally made my natural garbage disposal cleaner, which I am SO excited to start using tomorrow!! (Sidenote: to actually get an idea of how frugal my hubby is, listen to this! This garbage disposal cleaner recipe calls for filling an ice tray with vinegar and one small lemon slice. That's it!! And you're supposed to use it once or twice a week. Well our fridge did not come with ice cube trays, but one big tray and we were at wincos last week and 2 ice trays were $1.48 and Adam was like "Why are you wasting money on buying those?" I said, "Adam, they are $1.48 for 2, that's a good deal!! I didn't want to argue, it wasn't a big deal, so tonight I just filled one of those big trays with a little over 1/4 cup vinegar and 2 lemons cut up in small slices. Tomorrow I will just cut up the big ice cube into small cubes. BAM we resolved that issue! haha. Sometimes, I just have to laugh at Adam! Love him!) , and worked out. (Side note: Adam and I have been doing 50 pushups each night, in 4 different styles (regular, military, decline, and diamond), and 100 situps. I've been SO proud of myself. I will rotate doing 15 pushups, then 25 situps. But 50 total pushups is more than I've ever tried to do, done, or completed. So proud of myself!!).


What a day, right!!??!!


Hope your weekend is going well for you and your family!! 




No comments:

Post a Comment