Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mother's Day!!

Happy Mother's Day to all mommies out there! What a beautiful day (at least I can account for that here in WA) that God has blessed you all with! It has definitely been a window's down, hair blowin' to the beautiful chilled breeze, sun-shiny, country music kind of day here. So beautiful that we're blessed here with this amazing day! 

 At church this morning, the pastor started a new series entitled "Parenthood" that started today and will end on Father's Day (perfect right?!?). I didn't think that I would get much out of it, since Adam and I don't have children yet to parent. But I was wrong. Totally got a lot out of it! The pastor is using Jesus' life to portray how parents should parent their children. He spoke out of Luke 2:41-52 this morning. I never remember actually reading these verses, to where I could remember them. I think these verses have been ones that I read quickly to get to the next "good" part. However, the pastor made some really good points out of these verses here.

"The Boy Jesus at the Temple

41 Every year Jesus’ parents went to Jerusalem for the Festival of the Passover. 42 When he was twelve years old, they went up to the festival, according to the custom. 43 After the festival was over, while his parents were returning home, the boy Jesus stayed behind in Jerusalem, but they were unaware of it. 44 Thinking he was in their company, they traveled on for a day. Then they began looking for him among their relatives and friends. 45 When they did not find him, they went back to Jerusalem to look for him. 46 After three days they found him in the temple courts, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions. 47 Everyone who heard him was amazed at his understanding and his answers. 48 When his parents saw him, they were astonished. His mother said to him, “Son, why have you treated us like this? Your father and I have been anxiously searching for you.”
49 “Why were you searching for me?” he asked. “Didn’t you know I had to be in my Father’s house? (emphasis added)”[a] 50 But they did not understand what he was saying to them.
51 Then he went down to Nazareth with them and was obedient to them. But his mother treasured all these things in her heart. 52 And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man."

The pastor's first point was that we ought to raise our children as stewards.
steward= one who has the responsibility to manage what belongs to another (ie. Parents are managing their children, who ultimately belong to God).
Central point: Parenting is a stewardship...it is temporary...and I am accountable.
How we parent will determine our degree of influence in the future.

Hearing all of this, and soaking up these verses that I never truly remember, allowed me a good time to reflect on my childhood and the parenting I received from my parents; and since it being mother's day and all, mores specifically how my mom parented me. 

We were raised in a Christian home, given great guidance. Guidance of "doing things on your own" along with guidance from God, and how to rely on His name, no matter what the circumstances may be. It's the little things that my mom did that stood out to me the most. Here are a few examples. 

 My brother and I make fun of my mom now for it, but we were woken up every day to this children kids singer, who I really wish I remembered the name, but he was this duck or something thereof, and he sang this song about patience. Every morning we heard this patience song. My mom would come into the room, and say "rise and shine, it's a beautiful day God has created" and play the stupid lovely cassette. Although we make fun of her for this, not really for her but we make fun of the singer, it was such a blessing to always be reminded of having a "new day with Christ."

There were times in high school where we lived paycheck to paycheck. My mom never for once doubted that God would get us through these rough times. She always stood strong, held her faith, demonstrated it well, and stilled tithed. What an awesome demonstration to me in my adult years now! WOW!

My brother and I went on a lot of trips with my grandparents, and every trip I kid you not, my mom would stuff our suitcases with notes and goodies. This was something she didn't have to do, but she did it because she cared and missed us, and wanted us to know how much she loved us, despite us being away from her. I was looking over a few that I have kept and I guess my mom and I would send "secret letters to each other from the computer." How cute is that!?! Here are a picture of some that I have saved, because they have meant that much to me over the years.


Christmas and Easter were always fun holidays that we loved because we got gifts on those special days, but it was never a holiday built upon the fact that we received gifts. They were holidays that were built on the meaning of what they stood for: Jesus' birth and His death and resurrection and what that means to us as believers. I am grateful for that today!

Tickle time. All of us "Cooney" family members are ticklish. Especially my dad and brother. Sometimes we would have family tickle wars. My mom would usually start them, coming into the room making this "da doop. da doop." sound all the way down the hall until she reached us. These were classic family memories!

The most grateful thing that I can thank my mom for was acceptance and love. I was born with a speech disorder called stuttering. Think of Adam Sandler's character in Water Boy. Although that movie is funny, that was my life. Not being a water boy for a football team, but getting picked on from kindergarten-6th grade for how I couldn't help but speak. Despite all the teasing, my family was very accepting and had patience with me. I went to a speech therapist until 6th grade when I got a procedure that fixed the problem. (You probably wouldn't have known that about me if I wouldn't have said that). Every night in elementary school I would not be able to sleep because I would be crying of all the teasing I received during the day. I would go into the family room and my mom would rock me to sleep. She always reminded me that I was a child of God, and no matter what she loved me for how God created me, and God loved me even more than that. When I finally fell asleep my dad would carry me back to bed. What a blessing her comfort was to me.

Looking back, my parents really gave me the parenting with that of a stewardship in mind. I'm so grateful for how they raised me with morals, values, love, support, acceptance, grace, and guidance. 

Here are a few pictures of my mommy and I. :D








Also have to give a shoutout to my awesome grandmas. The Lord has blessed me to the fullest with some awesome women in my life to look up to as great Godly women!


I'm also grateful for how Adam's mom has raised him to have the same level of morals and values. I could not have been more blessed beyond belief for how solid rock his beliefs have stayed with him, despite all of the negative influence that surround him (So glad that God is watching over us!). This is just one tiny thing of all the lists of things that I am grateful for, for how my mother-in-law raised my husband. I am also glad that she has a special gift of encouragement, because she never once missed a week during deployment, without calling me at least twice to just check up on me just because. So sweet!



We both are thankful for such great mom's on this special day to thank them. Thank you Moms and grandmas!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment