Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Feeling Saucey!!

I'm a very saucey girl. When it comes to food that is! The more sauce, the better, and you can never have too much sauce in my opinion! Something that I have been really into is making home-made sauces. What is so great about making your own sauces, is 1) it's WAY cheaper. 2) You can personalize the flavor to your own liking (more or less spice, etc.) and 3) you get A LOT more bang for your buck than buying at the store.

Sauces that I have made so far are Red Spaghetti Sauce (which I use as a pasta sauce too), salad dressings, salsa, and now barbeque sauce! We have a family recipe for spaghetti sauce that I will never venture away from using, but it's been great adapting it to use as a pasta sauce in pastas. I also will never buy salad dressings again, when these 2 are so good (honey balsamic vinegarette and italian). But last week I cracked down and made my own barbecue sauce. Well, not my own recipe, but I made it homemade. I got it off of Pinterest of course! It turned out way good with amazing flavor! I decided that this recipe is too good not to share.

**From Foodnetwork.com**
Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons neutral-tasting oil, such as grapeseed or vegetable
  • 6 cloves garlic, smashed
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 slightly heaping tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
  • Pinch ground cloves (I did not use)
  • 2 cups ketchup
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/2 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup dark molasses
  • 1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce (I always use sodium-reduced)
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 teaspoons English-style dried mustard (I used regular dried mustard)
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 bay leaf (I did not use a bay leaf)
 Directions:

Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the garlic, tomato paste, chili powder, paprika, red pepper, allspice, and cloves and cook, stirring, until paste is dark brick red, about 3 minutes. Add the ketchup, water, vinegar, molasses, brown sugar, salt, soy sauce, Worcestershire, mustard, black pepper, and bay leaf. Adjust the heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until the flavors come together, about 30 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaf before using. 

Let me say that this has a VERY good taste! I already had most of these items on hand, so it didn't really cost much. I did get quite a bit out of it (as you can see below) and I didn't even double it. AWESOME!

**My results, plus we used some for a dinner**

Adam makes fun of me that I say "I won't be buying much condiments now at the store, but I'll be making my own from now on." But whatever, I can take a tease from him! PLUS, I tell him look how much pasta sauce I can get from making it myself, all for under $4 to make! Now that's good!!

**My yielded results: one pickle jar, one tall mason jar and one regular size mason jar, PLUS I used 3/4 cups for dinner. UNBELIEVABLE!! :D

Next sauces I will venture to try:
Whole-made Mustard with Balsamic Vinegar (when I run out of the one from Trader Joes)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment