Monday, October 8, 2012

God's Post-it Notes

I mentioned in yesterday's post that I left youth camp, yearning for Jesus more. I haven't been doing very well with reading my Bible. Actually, to be quite frank, I'm terrible at reading it every day, if anything at all. So with that in mind, I'm going to be working on reading my Bible every day. It starts with having a mindset of wanting to, which is something that is definitely a want in my book, it just can easily get pushed aside. So I'm using my umph I received/experienced at camp this past weekend, to carry me through this week, so that it can hopefully become a habit. 

I'm so proud of myself, because this morning I got up and then went on a short walk to the water and read my bible and prayed down there. Perfect choice if I do say so myself! I read through the book of Galatians, a book I hadn't read in awhile, and found myself needing to hear the words it offered.

My devotional time reminded me of a great devotional insert that my MIL included with a card she had sent me a couple of weeks ago. It talked about Post-it Notes. Saying,
"But visual reminders that help us not to forget didn't begin with Post-it Notes. They began with God himself. All through life God places His Post-it Notes on our days to remind us of Him...Through his creation, God longs for us to see and discover, observe and remember His creative beauty, His enduring grace, and His fathomless love.  In the Bible Paul wrote to the Romans, "Since the creation of the world, God's invisible qualities-his eternal power and divine nature- have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse" (Romans 1:20 TNIV). If we do not hear from God today, if we do not see His fingerprints through creation, we are without excuse. He is speaking to us all day long with holy Post-it Notes to remind us of His presence in our lives. The question is, will we listen?"

She included this insert, reminding me to include things in my planner that seem so incidental, like walks in the park, just to reflect on God's beauty. So as a part of my devotions, I used about 15 minutes and just sat and listened and observed all that was occurring around me outside, while being quiet. Here is what I took note of:

  • The breeze blowing against the trees
  • Water rippling
  • The wind causing goose bumps on my bare legs
  • Fish jumping up out of the water
  • Ducks silently swimming along
  • Sun shining and causing my back to feel its warmth
  • Birds singing and chirping a sweet melody
  • Watching an otter pop up from underneath the water
  • The silent stillness in the air
  • The sound of a bird flying by, flapping its wings
  • Watching a trio of American Flags blowing proudly in the distance
  • The sound of the waves flowing back and forth
  • A flock of Sea Gulls flying overhead
  • Ducks diving under the water for fish
These are the Post-it Notes that God placed during the stillness of my devotions. Some of these things are so simple, yet I normally would be too distracted or wouldn't have even taken the time in the first place to listen for them. If I didn't take the time to be still and listen for them, they would have gone unnoticed in my day, and as the Bible says in the verse in Romans, I would have no excuse. God is calling out to each and every one of us, but are we listening? Are we waiting for Him? Or rather, do we take the time to even listen or appreciate all that He has created for our own pleasure? It saddens me that I fall into the category of not listening or appreciating His beauty, His creation. What a shame! When I just take the time to sit and listen, all these things just point to a God that is good. So good, that He would create animals that sing a lovely tune. Or water that makes a beautiful sound when it ripples from the wind. He is good indeed!


**Just imagine the sound of rippling water while looking at this picture**

These thoughts remind me of the song by Gungor, entitled Beautiful Things.  The chorus of the song says,

"You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of the dust.
You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of us."

I do have to admit that I haven't been doing very well at keeping up with my planner with the smaller things. I haven't been including items that help take care of me. So this next week, I'm stepping back on the planning band wagon and trying hard to stick with the smaller things, that will help grow me closer to the Lord and notice His Post-it Notes, but also to help take care of myself, as well. I'm going to include things this month, such as going to get my nails done, get a professional massage, take a bubble bath, etc. {I'm really bad at justifying pampering myself, but you have to do it sometimes}. I'm also going to take more walks down to the water, go to the hills, and enjoy different scenery of God's beautiful creation.

What are you doing to notice God's Post-it Notes that He has placed in your days?



 

2 comments:

  1. God is teaching you some neat things, Jasmine. You are responding to His invitations to meet Him in countless ways! I imagine He loves to see you notice all He's made. Your time of noticing was a prayer, a communing with God, a time of being intentionally together. How good is that, dear girl?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely right Diane, He is teaching me neat things. I just need to remember to be intentionally receptive to notice Him-throughout my day, too!

    ReplyDelete