Monday, May 20, 2013

Strong Enough

Our series in Church that we started yesterday got me thinking. The series we started at GracePoint is entitled Secret Baggage. This week Pastor Barry talked about Generational Sin. When it came to the end of the sermon, his main point on how to move forward, was this: Generational sin has no authority over a believer, because we have the power to walk in the spirit. He used Colossians 2:13 as an example, where it states "When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins." 

I love that. What a beautiful reminder of something we often forget, that when we were still sinners, God interceded and made a way for us to be made clean and made whole again. It wasn't anything else: it was Him. And when we get into the mentality where we think "Am I good enough for God? Can He really use me? I am nothing. All I am is garbage and I'll never amount to anything." This kind of mentality needs to go. Because, 1) God loves you and desperately yearns for you. "Yet the LORD longs to be gracious to you; therefore he will rise up to show you compassion. For the LORD is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for him!" Isaiah 30:18 2) He gave up His one and ONLY son for you. "For whoever believes in me will not perish but have everlasting life." John 3:16 3) When we were STILL sinners he died for us. "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."  {That still is so important!!}

These thoughts remind me of one of my favorite current songs, called Strong Enough by Stacie Orrico. I started listening to her in junior high or high school {can't remember exactly when} and this song has always stuck out. It's currently in the cd player in my car-and I jam out to her cd entitled Stacie Orrico on my way to work {gotta get something to wake me up at 530!!). Anyways, the lyrics to Strong enough get me each and every time, but they really relate here. So for Music Monday, here's her song:

Strong Enough

As I rest against this cold, hard wall
Will you pass me by?
Will you criticize me as I sit and cry?
I had fought so hard and thought that all my battles had been won
Only to find the war has just begun

Is He not strong enough?
Is He not pure enough?
To break me, pour me out, and start again
Is He not brave enough?
To take one chance on me
Please can I have one chance to start again?

Will my weakness for an hour make me suffer for a lifetime?
Is there anyway to be made whole again?
If I'm healed, renewed, and find forgiveness, find the strength I've never had
Will my scars forever ruin all God's plan?

Is He not strong enough?
Is He not pure enough?
To break me, pour me out, and start again
Is He not brave enough?
To take one chance on me
Please can I have one chance to start again?

He took my life into his hands and it turned it all around
In my most desperate circumstance
It's there I've finally found

That You are strong enough
That You are pure enough
To break me, pour me out and start again
That You are brave enough
To take one chance on me
Oh Thank You for my chance to start again 
lyrics from: azlyrics.com

I love how real, honest and open these lyrics are. They're so beautiful and speak directly to my soul. Like I said previously, a lot of us think that God can't use us, or how Stacie so beautifully phrases, think that our scars are too big for God to turn around. Oh how that is ever so wrong! What a lie that gets fed to us straight from satan himself. If there is one thing you get from my words here, it's this: no matter what scars you have, none of them, absolutely NONE of them are too big for God to reverse or for you to be banned from being made clean. God can take and use anyone, and use any circumstance to better His kingdom, all in His glory, not our own. He used Ruth {a widow} and Rahab {a prostitute} and because of the strength and faithfulness that they held in the toughest circumstances, with the stances they had for their times, Christ came directly from their genealogy. How beautiful is that! I love the stories of those two women, but there are so many more stories, to list a few more from the bible, there are: Daniel, Paul, David. So many of us have our own stories of how God has transformed our lives, and they are beautiful stories indeed.

I hope that you can look into your circumstances and know that God can use you despite what you are going through! 

Here's the music video to Strong Enough to encourage and uplift your day! :D

 

LOVE,
 

No comments:

Post a Comment