Tuesday, August 27, 2013

From This to That: Bookshelf

Hey there! I wanted to share with you all a little series I have come up with to keep me going with my crafty projects, and a fun post for you all to read. It's called

From This to That

This post is going to be where I take something ordinary, or something that I have purchased from like goodwill, an auction, or wherever, and I turn it into something spunky, new and fun for my home-and possibly yours too!

Here we go with project #1. Drum roll please.......

How to turn a plain ol' book shelf, into a fun item piece for your room, office, or living space. 

When we purchased our house, a lot of stuff was left in it. Most of it was junk, but there were some things that I wanted to save because I knew I could do something with them or turn them into something else. A 5 shelf book shelf was one of those in the "keep" pile. It sat in the office for months, until I began to decorate the living room. My dad was in town then, so he helped me carry it out there, but I just wasn't cutting it. It was waaayyy too boring for me. This is what it looked like {pretty darn similar to this one from Walmart}:


**Bookshelf pre transformation**


I found a few ideas from pinterest that I had my mind set on. I was originally going to put scrapbook paper on the back wall, finding grey or yellow to make our decor. That idea was shot down, as there were no color choices without desins on them at either Joanns OR Target. That idea was obviously out. So next I thought that it would be cool to put a map behind it. I mean, if  you are up to date on anything on pinterest, it's all about maps folks! However, that idea was also shot down when the only map I had was just barely too small to fit the whole back wall. Um, so that idea was out too. I was left thinking, "WHAT THE HECK AM I GOING TO DO NOW??!!??!" Then I had an amazing epiphany. Why don't I use pages from a book, you know to literally make it a book shelf {haha anyone?} SCORE!!! I went running down the hall immediately to my boxes of books {since they hadn't been unpacked yet due to not knowing what to do with the book shelf} and tried to find one that I obviously didn't want to ruin. I did have second thoughts, since it seemed kind of illegal to be tearing up pages from a book, but I went along with it anyways. I found a book from my childhood that I thought fit the job perfectly: Island of the Blue Dolphins, which happened to be the very first chapter book I read. I also chose this book, because the pages were tinted looking older/yellow looking, which was perfect since that was my color scheme.

So I set out with my book in hand, however, not to read it, but to tear it up. I grabbed my homemade modge podge and began the tedious task of gluing the pages to the wall.


I got in a rhythm and before I knew it I was done, and SO happy with the results that were starring me in the face. WHAT A GENIOUS IDEA!!!!

Here is the final result of my modge-podge book page book shelf:

 **Finally done and in heaven with the results**

I then set out to fill the shelves. I got all my books and put them on it in different ways on every shelf-it makes for a more unique display. I gathered some unique decorations that I've been saving from auctions, memorabilia from our honeymoon, keepsakes from our wedding, and our heart shaped "Where were you born" picture frames that I made for us.Badda-Bing, Badda Boom!

**Bookshelf complete with decorations**

And there you have it, I turned a boring ol' bookshelf, into a spunky new "book" shelf!

Whatcha gonna turn your shelf into? The possibilities are endless y'all!! Have fun with it!

 

2 comments: