Saturday, August 31, 2013

One Meal, Done 2 Ways: Beef and Broccoli

One of my favorite kinds of food is Chinese. I've always have had an acquired taste for it, ever since I can remember. Whether it be Chicken and Mushrooms {which is my favorite}, Orange Chicken, or just plain ol' fried rice, I love the spices and flavor of these dishes. One of my top favorites as well, has always been Beef and Broccoli. While Adam was away during this last deployment, one of the new recipes that I found and tried while he was gone was a recipe for it. When I tried it the first time, it was instantly my new favorite meal, one that I knew Adam would enjoy as well. The recipe was a stove top recipe, but was easy to make and didn't call for anything to out of the ordinary. The flavor in this recipe is to die for, so I just have to share it with you! You really won't regret trying this out, which you all should do! 

Beef and Broccoli   
stove-top edition
 {As found on a Rainy Day Gal's blog}

Step one, marinate the meat:

1/2 tsp baking soda

1 tsp sugar

1 tbsp cornstarch

1 tbsp low

sodium soy sauce

1 tbsp water

2 tbsp vegetable oil

1 1/2 lbs flank steak, sliced into thin strips

1. Whisk together the baking soda, sugar, cornstarch, soy sauce, water, and
vegetable oil in a large bowl. Toss the steak with the marinade to coat. Cover
and refrigerate at least 1 hour, then proceed.
1/2 c low sodium soy sauce (Do NOT use regular.
The final product will be way too
salty)

2 tbsp brown sugar

4 cloves garlic, minced

2 tbsp flour

1 tbsp sherry

3 tbsp vegetable oil

2 heads broccoli, crowns only
1. In a small bowl, stir together the soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, flour and sherry
until smooth. Set aside.
2. In a large wok or saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil over high
heat until shimmering. Add broccoli and saute 3 minutes, stirring often. Transfer
broccoli to a plate.
3. Reduce heat to medium high. Carefully add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the hot pan. Add the marinated meat and half of the sauce mixture and saute for 3-4 minutes, stirring often, until the meat is cooked through and no longer pink. Stir in the broccoli and remaining sauce. Saute 1 minute more. Serve. 
I love to pair this dish with Skinny Taste's Edamame Fried Rice {I don't use soy products, so I usually replace the Edamame with another veggie}. Such a healthier version of fried rice that is to die for! Or get the recipe here, when I made it with Crockpot Teriyaki Chicken.

**This recipe serves 4**

As you can see, you mostly have all of these ingredients already in your fridge. If not, they're easy to find in your grcoery store. 

I've made this version too many times to count, and love the leftovers it provides as well {sometimes there are none it's that good! ;}

Recently, I found a crockpot version of Beef and Broccoli that I was eager to try out and see if which recipe I like better. Usually when a recipe is crockpot, I'm more drawn to it. Since my discovery of the crockpot 2 1/2 years ago, I haven't been the same. To throw all your ingredients in one place, and either be completely done with or semi close to done with your meal, is completely and utterly fabulous if  you ask me. For those of you who are afraid of using a crockpot or haven't discovered its glory firsthand, you are missing out. Tell me now, why wouldn't you love something that saves you time, your energy, and sanity when preparing a meal?!? huh? THAT'S WHAT IT DOES FOLKS!! Don't be afraid! 

Anyways, as I was saying, I discovered this crockpot recipe and you need to be aware of it-IT'S SO GOOD!

Beef and Broccoli  
Crockpot edition
{As seen on Table for Two's blog}
Ingredients:
1 lb. boneless, beef chuck roast, sliced into thin strips
1 cup beef consumme or beef broth
1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
1 tbsp. sesame oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp. cornstarch
4 tbsp. sauce (from the crockpot after dish is cooked)
Frozen broccoli florets (as many as desired, I believe I used almost 2 cups)
White rice, cooked

Instructions:

  1. In the insert of the crockpot, whisk together beef consume, soy sauce, dark brown sugar, sesame oil, and garlic.
  2. Gently place your slices of beef in the liquid and toss to coat.
  3. Turn crockpot on low and cook for 6 hours.**
  4. When done, in a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and cooking liquid to create a slurry, pour into crockpot, stir to mix well. Cook on low for an additional 30 minutes to thicken up the sauce.
  5. Toss in your broccoli florets then serve hot over white rice.
 **Your crockpot may vary in temperature. The creator of this recipe warns if it's your first time, start of with cooking meat for 4 hours in your crocpot and go from there. You don't want to end up with shredded beef, but rather beef chunks.
***I serve this meal with Skinny Taste's Edamame Fried Rice {The same fried rice as mentioned in the stovetop edition}.

This recipe yields great results. Doesn't this recipe sound amazing. I've been using the crockpot edition lately, because it's my favorite for many reasons:
  1. It's a crockpot recipe
  2. It's easy and saves my sanity after work
  3. You don't have to brown the meet first or defrost first{if using frozen broccoli} or steam first {if using fresh}; AH-MAZING!  
  4. It's absolutely delicious!!!


**Beef and Broccoli: A Zickefoose family favorite meal!**

  
So there you go, one meal that can be done two different ways. Which way are you going to try??

ps. Both of these versions have been added to my recipe page, where you can easily find them there any time!

Happy Cooking & Eating!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment